Camp Kirkwood

Last Wednesday I went to Camp Kirkwood with the whole sixth grade. I got dropped off at 7:40 with all my stuff and went to my advisory. Then we got all our stuff loaded onto the bus. I was in the medium sized bus so that meant it was pretty quiet. On the bus ride we watched a movie called Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs. I liked it even though I have watched it before. Unfortunately we rode right into Hurricane Idalia. 

When we got there it was raining pretty hard but the counselors were waiting in the rain for us! They greeted us and helped us unpack our bags. In the rain! Once we gathered all our stuff off the bus and under the pavilion the counselors introduced themselves and helped us move our belongings to our cabins. I was in cabin number 1. I chose a bottom bunk! The cabins were clean and cozy! Then we swam to the dining hall. We had a scrumptious ham and cheese sandwich Thanks kitchen staff! and then the fun began! My group got to go to the pool first and it was super fun! After a delicious dinner the Camp Kirkwood staff did a great job with changing plans. We were going to do a night hike but it was raining so instead we watched a movie and played dodgeball. 

The next day we did all sorts of fun activities. I loved Kanga jump which was this giant blow up mat that we jumped on. We played a game on it and I won! We also did team building and swimming. For swimming we had the choice to take a swim test or wear a life jacket. I took the swim test. One of my favorite activities was v-swing a rope that we attached to then we got pulled high up. I went the highest you could go.  Then we unattached ourselves from one rope and we swung around on the other rope. We also played some board games like Yahtzee puzzles and more. Another activity we did was tree ecology where we learned about the different parts of a tree and different kinds of trees. We also did orienteering which is learning how to use a compass and more! I had sooooo much fun! That night we had a fun campfire where we sang songs and had s’mores! Yummm! 

On the last day of camp we still had fun canoeing, zip lining, and playing with Bubbles the pig! Then we had pizza for lunch!  Then we packed our stuff in a bus and drove back to school! 

Thanks Teachers Kirkwood staff (including bubbles) and all who made this awesome trip possible! 

30maddyg

3 Comments

1. I really like your post! I like how you made it super clear that it was raining! Good job!

2. Great descriptions of your trip – you made it sound like it was a lot of fun! I also really liked the photos!

3. Enjoyed learning more about your trip, Maddy. Had not previously heard about Bubbles! Thanks and looking forward to your future posts.