How to Make a Blackout Poem

Have you ever wandered what to get for a friend or family? Well a blackout poem is an easy fun way to make an awesome gift for someone! Here are the steps for how to make a blackout poem.

First find a book that you don’t need anymore.

Photo taken by me.

Next, find a page of that book you like and rip it out carefully.

Photo taken by me.

Then, underline or circle any words that stand out to you. There is no limit but I suggest that you only choose 3 or less words per line.

Photo taken by me.

Next you have a choice you can fill in everything or draw a picture.

If you choose to fill everything in, draw a line through each line but make sure you DON’T draw a line through the words you chose!

Photo taken by me.

Then you can fill everything else in. Remember: Don’t color in the words you chose.

Thank you to my friend Charlotte for letting me take a picture of her poem.

If you choose to make a picture on your page you can draw a picture would but make sure not to color in the words you chose.

Photo taken by me.

Now you can easily see the words you chose and they create a cool poem!

If you would like to see one of my blackout poems visit my post called Blackout Poem.

30maddyg

4 Comments

1. Maddy, thanks for sharing this cool, creative idea. I hadn’t heard of a blackout poem previously so I thought I’d give it a try. I randomly copied a page from “The Next Ship Home” by Heather Webb, chose words, and blacked out the rest. I hope you like my blackout poem:
    ferry, waters, gazing, sunset, beauty, world, regal, beacon, sense, gratitude.

2. Very cool, Maddy! I hadn’t heard of a blackout poem previously so I thought I would give it a try. I copied a random page from “The Next Ship Home” by Heather Webb (a book on my “to read” shelf), and blacked out the other words. I hope you like my blackout poem:
    ferry waters, gazing sunset, beauty world, regal beacon, sense of gratitude

3. That is really cool – what a neat way to make something that is pretty to read and to look at. Truly artful